It has been way to long since I've
updated my blog.
Since going to the delta, I've spent a few of my
weekends around Gaborone, including going to the National
Museum and Art Gallery, several different churches, a political party
youth meeting, a circus, and the Gaborone Game Reserve.
There were a
lot of nasty baboons at the Reserve, they stole food right of the
Braai ('African' for barbeque). So we were always chasing them away,
and I managed to hit one on the head when he had his paws in the braai.
I had an opportunity to go to the
university vice chancellor inauguration, during which I saw the
President of Botswana (who arrived late in a... fancy Land Rover, of
course). One interesting difference in the culture here is when the
ladies make a unique kind of cry (as in cheering) that involves
wagging the tongue side to side in a very rapid fashion...difficult
to describe, and difficult to keep a straight face when I first heard it as well.
I also went to a football (soccer) game
with my friend Solomon, where we were representing the Mochudi Center
Chiefs. They definitely love their soccer, as was demonstrated by
sections of the fans dancing and singing songs (made up on the spot)
at halftime. Just the fans themselves were entertaining, I'm not sure I followed the game too closely...but we won!
| football game |
I have also joined a club on campus,
Tshwaraganang Charitable Society. Their primary goal is fundraising
to build a house in December, however Sept. 17th we went
to Gabane Homebased Care, where we made a donation to the school
there, did presentations for the kids and played with them. It was really
cool to see how the children play, always with lots of song and dance
in their group games.
| volunteering at Gabane Home based Care |
I LOVE THIS.... next time my teacher tries to tell me there no such thing as purple trees I HAVE PROOF !!!!!!! WOOOOOOOT Looks liek your havin Fun Charli
ReplyDeleteI love it...they are really pretty...
ReplyDelete